Wednesday, February 16, 2011

Pictures that lie!

When I first saw this picture, I was in complete shock and could not help thinking what Oprah's reaction must have been when she found out that her head was placed onto the body of actress Ann-Margret. Oprah Windfrey is not only an amazing and succeful women, but also respected by thousands of people. I can't believe that someone would manipulate an image to make her body look so different. This picture was published on the cover of TvGuide in 1989.
I tried to figure out why someone would do this without permission of the person, but it is very hard for me to come up with an answer. I used to think that using photoshop to make somebody's body look skinnier was wrong, but this is just out of control because that is another person's body!
I am certain that this manipulation was harmful, especially to Oprah who is such a strong woman and this was just extremely disrespectful.

The YouTube video I added below carries a very strong message that women should not let modeling industries change their look. This image manipulation has gotten too far and people are being manipulated to an extent that they look like a completely different person. This needs to change and the only way is if we express our feelings.

3 comments:

  1. This is similar to the video I chose. I agree completely that manipulation of women to this extent is very harmful.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like that you chose a video made by DOVE. The girl was beautiful even before the alterations were made.

    ReplyDelete